Minutes of the Midway Woods Neighborhood Association Leadership Team Meeting
Date: September 2, 2015
Attendees: President Michael Hughes; VP Sydney Lilly; Treas. Steve Saggus; Secy. Martha Miller; Web Administrator Derrick Peavy; Not attending: Environment Chair Alex Kambar, Community Chair Susan Burns.
The meeting was called to order by the President at 7 pm.
The first item on the agenda was the motion to pursue incorporation of the MWNA as a 501c4. After discussion, the leadership team voted unanimously in favor of pursuing 501c4.
Next, the team discussed and approved the following as the purpose of the proposed 501c4:
1. To strengthen the community as one that a) welcomes, respects, and supports people in all their diversity of age, race, ethnicity, faith, sexual orientation, and economic level b) works together to enhance the quality of life of all members
2. To work collaboratively with our police and fire departments to ensure personal safety and protection of homes and property
3. To work collaboratively with our school district, schools, parent-teacher associations, and families to support students
4. To work collaboratively with County and City parks departments to support sound environmental stewardship of Dearborn Park and enhance the park’s contribution to the quality of life for area residents
5. To work collaboratively with appropriate units of local government to ensure a) property assessments are fair b) roads, streets, and right-of-ways are safe and well maintained c) homes receive appropriate water, sewage, and sanitation services d) abandoned properties are included in the DeKalb County Registry of Vacant Properties
The committee then discussed and voted affirmatively on the motion to task the Bylaws Committee with drafting appropriate bylaws for the 501c4.
Next, the committee discussed and voted to approve the next leadership team meetings for 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm on Wednesday, November 4, Wednesday, January 6, and Wednesday, March 2.
After updates on several issues (Neighborhood Watch, Friends of Dearborn Park, and Friends of Lower Oldfield) the meeting was adjourned.
The next leadership committee meeeting will be on Wednesday, November 4.